Friday, August 28, 2009

That Which Remains

With the recent passing of political and entertainment icons people often are left contemplating their impact on society. Inevitably the debate starts as to whether their importance lives up to the hype. Then we can expect those who have information proving either some moral failure or some dark secret that the news media will regurgitate for weeks. Then comes the books and special reports and by the end, we elevate them to king like status. It is quite comical and sad. At some point we forget that this idol was a person and is subject to the same flaws as the rest of us, except they because of their elevated status had more opportunity to fail.

I can’t help, but think about my impact upon my death. What will be said of me? Will people talk about my speaking or writing ability? Will it be my love for God and people? Will someone eventually come out with some scandalous information concerning me? (I hope not). The reality at that moment you are powerless to do anything. All you can do is live a life of excellence, character, and integrity today. You can’t change mistakes from your past, and tomorrow is not promised. You secure you legacy with each passing moment, and with each interaction. The bible says, “A good and honest life is a blessed memorial; a wicked life leaves a rotten stench.” Proverbs 10:7 We will all leave this world one day. What will people remember about you? ...Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment