Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thank you Louis and Elaine Williams

Think on this…I have an infection; it’s called an 18-year-old living in my house! I am attempting to train him to be a better man then he would be on his own. Its tough! But, I am reminded of when I was 18; I had some amazing people who allowed me live with them while in college. They taught me everything from lawn care to childcare, and I was glad to learn it (most of the time). I was so overwhelmed by their generosity that there was nothing that they could have asked that would have been refused.

Now, one distinction this family had was stern discipline. The husband was amazing at barking just loud enough to inspire fear while hugging enough to evoke confidence. The wife had a way of looking at you with, the Claire Huxtable stare, except you knew she would actually take you out if needed. She was from Philly, so she could back it up. They loved me. Their love helped me be the man that I am by, helping me get into college, see a healthy family dynamic up close, and develop skills to be a successful as a Christian. It’s the template I now use to do the same thing for my nephew.

The Williams were a model for one of my favorite scriptures, “And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?” Luke 16:12 As frustrating as it can get raising an 18-year-old, I have an awesome example before me. I hope that someday he will be able to look back and see the value we have added to his life and endeavor to do the same to another 18-year-old. I am apart of a rich legacy. What kind of legacy are you leaving? ...Just a thought

No comments:

Post a Comment