Friday, January 29, 2010

Somebody’s Watching Me

Think on this…Do you remember the 80’s song, “Somebody’s Watching Me”? It went something like, “I always feel like, somebody’s watching me, I can’t get no privacy, ohh, ohh, ohh.” It wasn’t a creative or thought provoking song, but man it was catchy. I fully understand that feeling. It all happen when I started speaking more frequently at my local church, Destiny Metropolitan Worship Church. You see, it is what is called a mega-church with about 6,000 people in its membership. So, when you get popular in that crowd people start noticing you in the strangest places.

The first time, happened at a red light. A lady got out of her car, ran up to ours and gave us some money and said, “Thank you for the message. Breakfast is on me.” We just sat there slack jawed. Then I was at a store buying a gift for my wife and, “Hey aren’t you the wise guy.” (It was obvious they had been to a Destinations Event). Since then I have grown in the little notoriety that I have and it happens all the time. Now, I’m likely see people at my son’s school, while grocery shopping, and even in men’s rooms. It’s a bit unnerving, but I realized something. I can’t mess up. There are eyes ever looking to see if I am going to be what they have seen on stage.

This is the burden and responsibility of leadership. I can’t spur the attention because I didn’t bring it on myself, it’s God’s doing. The bible says, “Above all else, you must live in a way that brings honor to the good news about Christ.” Philippians 1:27 What if you were more visible? What would people see in your conduct? Would you make them want to love God more or less? This is the wrestle I must embrace everyday. I think more people would desire to become followers of Jesus if the people that said the represented him lived based on this scripture…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment