Monday, February 1, 2010

Black History

Think on this…I love being a black American, African American, and/or a descendant of enslaved Africans in America. I don’t really have any hang ups on which of these phrases chosen to describe me, I love it. I value my history. My ancestors were taken from their homes in Africa, probably sold off by someone who looked like them. Then they were subjected to a torturous journey across the ocean jammed into ships like sardines and many died. Upon arrival they were sold like cattle in open squares. Forced to work, bred like beast, raped, etc. Then once they were free endured lynching and unjust laws. Years later we still wrestle with the ramifications of all of these atrocities.

All of that and one thing still grabs my heart; we are still here. In spite of all that has been done to us and all that we have done to ourselves, we are still here. We have overcome, and are still overcoming. I don’t think this is a license to hold grudges, but I see one outstanding quality, resilience. I know it’s my custom to reference scriptures, no one scripture seems appropriate, and I don’t desire to have blogs with 20+ verses. So, I will end this blog with the words of an old Negro spiritual. “Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty we are free at last”…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment