Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Promise Keeper

Think on this…a friend of mine once told a story that both encouraged and challenged me. He told a story about his son, who before he passed away said this of his father. “He has always kept his promises to me.” His son died knowing that his father’s word was always dependable. Upon hearing that, I was quietly moved, as I want that to be said of me.

Years ago there was a saying; “My word is my bond”. In the urban community it became, “Word is bond.” We said that with so much enthusiasm, although I think we missed it’s meaning. That phrase carries the promise that if I say it, you can count on it. There was no maybe, might, or possibly in that statement. If I say it, that settles it. There is so much power in that concept. I think we give ourselves too many excuses for why we are justified in not keeping our word.

I wish I could say that I have never faltered in this area. But, I endeavor to be the type of man who can be trusted to do what he says he will do. I have discovered that it takes a couple key characteristics to do that. First, we must not commit to anything we can’t do. Second we must have a, whatever it takes approach to keeping our word. The bible says, “Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.” Matthew 5:37 I invite you to join me in becoming a promise keeper…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment