Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Process

Think on this…In 2007 I had a crazy idea to write a book. Now, with my background that is a high and lofty goal. But, I had been working with college students for ten years and I wasn’t seeing the type of impact that I was anticipating in the collegiate arena. I would see a room full of college students that would worship in large gatherings and go to their campuses and live lives that were incongruent with the big experience that they just had. Maybe it was an intimidation factor or maybe a mindset thing, but something had to change. Why? Because there was more that God wanted to do with, for, and through them. So, I started writing.

Well a year later I was still working at my corporate job and I had little time to devote to the writing process. One of my writing mentors, Tim Elmore, said just keep writing. I listened and would have ebbs and flows of writing moments that got me to about half way there. Then in the middle of 2008 I heard a very clear, “finish it!” So, I feverishly put down what I was writing and by early 2009 there was an interested publisher and a looming layoff at my job. Once the job ended we were already in full swing with the publisher and the dream I had was almost a reality.

Enter 2010 and the book is finally here. College Impact: Empowering Collegiate Christians for Campus Influence is a reality and now what. Well it’s time to sell the dream. That is where things get a little funky. I can truly say that I believe the collegiate world will truly be touched by God’s love if college students read this book. But, I have a struggle going in and telling people why they should buy into what I am doing. It could be humility or just plain nervousness. So, what I am doing is getting a little help from my friends. Instead of doing cold calls I am recruiting my friend who know and believe in me to be the bridges to relationships and opportunities that I don’t have. Cold calls rarely work.

I have to use relationships to get where I believe God wants me to be to make a difference. That is a good thing. You see my tendency is to try and shoulder things on my own, but I need the people I love to help me. So, my questions to you are, are there things that God has place inside of you that you have refused to do? Next, what help do you need to get that done? Why? The Bible says, “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10 No one benefits when we sit on what God has given us and refuse to ask for the help we need to get it out there…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment