Monday, November 9, 2009

Gravity- Inspired by John Mayer

Think on this…to be honest I am not a John Mayer fan. I am not an anti-Mayer, I am just not an avid listener, but this song grabs me. "Gravity is working against me…I'll never know what makes this man, with all the love that his heart can stand, dream of ways to throw it all away”. This rings true for me and I imagine for you as well. It's all about our struggle with depravity. It doesn’t help anyone to pretend that we don’t have self-destructive tendencies. We all have those feelings, deal with it.

The bible says, "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out…Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." Romans 7:18-20. I am ever mindful of my weakness and desire to abandon everything that I hold dear. Is it because I am just a bad Christian? I don't think so. I have learn to be ever mindful of my challenges so that I know what enemies I am facing. If I am blind to my own temptations how do I overcome them?

So what do we do? John Mayer had the right solution. “Keep me where the light is.” That is what we need, to be where God’s light is. I am not perfect, but I know who is, and I want to stay in His light as to not embrace my own darkness…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment