Friday, November 6, 2009

Sick and Shut-in

Think on this…when I was a child in church I heard a common phrase, Sick and Shut-in. The church used these terms to speak of those who were infirmed and needed either prayer or comfort. I lived with my sister’s grandmother for years and she was on the Sick and Shut-in list. We regularly watched as deacons from the large local church visited. It was amazing really, the loved they showed for this elderly woman. I think about the fact that she had us there and didn’t go without a constant touch from someone. There were so many others who never saw another face, or felt the warmth from another person’s affection.

I understand the concept more fully as I have been wrestling with the flu this week. I have been in quarantine in my bed for days now and I am getting a little stir crazy. I get the need for my exile, but I miss human contact. I feel Sick and Shut-in. It’s the flu so I will get over it, but there are others who never get that connection. This year I started delivering food to the elderly and those with HIV and AIDS, and now I really see why they need that service. That simple act shows love in ways that I am only now discovering.

Jesus taught, “When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” Show love this weekend…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment