Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Narcissism…How rude!

Think on this…we’ve had recently had a string of celebrities officials and athletes behaving badly. Whether a stream of expletives in a critical sporting moment, an inappropriate outburst during a presidential speech, or my favorite an interruption during an award shows, I wonder what is wrong with people. I think we are in a totally narcissistic culture. What do I mean? Everyone thinks that who they are and what they think is the most important thing in the world. It’s covered with, “I just had to say”, or “I think”, but the truth is not everything we think or feel should be expressed. Who do we think we are? Why does everything need to be about us, all the time?

I think about marriages, many fall apart because instead of serving the other person, people would rather be served. Parents often choose their own happiness over their children’s, that is covered with, “I need to be happy too”, forgetting that being a parent means that you are to sacrifice for your children. Then, what is with the whole Tweeting about every little thing going on in your life? I understand some basic info is good, but I don’t need to know when you use the toilet or go to the OBGYN. You are not that important! Neither am I.

Christians are just as guilty. We use the fact that we are telling people the truth to say the worst things in the worst possible moments. Saying the right things at the wrong time in the wrong way is still wrong. The Bible says, Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” I think we would be able to offer solutions to a narcissistic culture if we behaved better. For God’s sake, life is so much bigger then just you…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment