Monday, October 26, 2009

Blessed

Think on this…Often it’s comical to me to listen to people talk about their desperate situations. You see I have been to both Kenya and Rwanda and had an opportunity to see poverty at levels not seen here in the states. I saw numbers of children roaming in groups of 20s for the purpose of safety. Many of them lost their parents due to AIDS and genocide. Now they band together to and care for themselves. It was heartbreaking. This is not to say that people here aren’t in need. I have mentioned before my history growing up poor. But, even though we often had our lights off, we had lights. Even though we had to eat sugar sandwiches, we had sugar sandwiches. Even though we lived in a homeless shelter, we had shelter.

This is not meant to make light of anyone’s hardship. All our individual experiences are relative, I get that, but we can’t loose sight of the reality that there is always someone who has it worse. As unfair as our financial system sometimes is, and as broken as our healthcare system is, we still have it a lot better then the rest of the world. We are blessed, even when we don’t feel like it. “A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.” Proverbs 22:9 I am unemployed, like many others, but I have learned to continue give to others. If you bless someone else, you might see your situation differently…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment