Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Much Respect

Think on this…I was talking to my 18-year-old nephew and the issue of respect came up. You see when I was young respect for your parents, elders, and those in authority in general were a given. Not because they did anything to deserve it, but because it was right. His generation feels that if you give respect then you get it. I understand the concept of mutual respect, but it doesn’t sit right with me that my mom must show me respect in order for her to get my respect. Please understand that my mother was not perfect. She would tell you that herself. Although, I was on occasion driven to the point of rage, I never cursed at her or called her out of her name, she is my mom.

Likewise, I was taught to respect my elders. In most cases you were to give respect to people who had more experience. This is a principle that helps you when dealing with a boss, a police officer, or the president for that matter. I wonder if that is why we see so many kids cursing and fighting adults, and there seems to be a decrease in the overall value of those advanced in the years. The bible says, “Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and government fees to those who collect them, and give respect and honor to those who are in authority.” Romans 13:7 I don’t know about you, but I think we need to teach our children better…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment