Friday, March 26, 2010

Preaching to Myself

Think on this…I have had a number of good conversations with people lately. I am not saying the conversations have been about good things, but they have been important. Whether it’s a friend who is struggling in their marriage, to a person dealing with esteem issues, or a leader afraid take a step of boldness. I have learned that when speaking to others I am in essence talking to myself.

What do I mean that I preach to myself? I listen intently to what they are saying, I think about an appropriate response to their query, and I say things that make sense to them as though I were talking to myself. I try to learn as I am speaking and place myself in their shoes. It’s both a lesson of empathy and willingness to learn all at the same time. The tendency for most people is to say really good things to others and that don’t change to communicator, just the one being communicated to.

I don’t want to tell someone else truth and it bounce of me. That prepares me for hypocrisy. We can be geniuses as it pertains to others problems and idiots when it comes to our own. Have you ever heard a person give advice and realized that they we saying the very thing that they needed to hear? We need to learn to preach to ourselves. It would be dumb to tell a man to listen to his wife’s needs more and I don’t listen to my wife. The bible says, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.” 1 Corinthians 9:27b It’s a life lesson that I think would benefit is all…Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment