Monday, March 29, 2010

Separation Anxiety

Think on this…An interesting dynamic has been happening in my house. My 5-year-old son is having a difficult time. Children with my son’s type of special needs have ebbs and flows in their development. When he was younger we dealt with his separation anxiety and thought it was over. Well, we are going through another round of that process, and it is hard to deal with to say the least.

Every time I walk away for a brief moment he looses it. In his mind I have abandoned him. I found myself reassuring him. “Daddy is here, I am not going anywhere. If I go away for a moment I will always come back if I can.” I hope to get through to him that daddy is dependable and that I am always here for him. Even though I have not done anything to undermine his trust in my stability and love for him, all I can do is continually remind him that daddy is here.

While encouraging my son I believe I heard God speaking to me. While telling Him that I was still there, God was saying the same thing to me. He was there, because He loved me and didn’t leave me alone. He like me was as close as a call or prayer away. It was hard to hear, but powerful at the same time. It’s really impacting my life and I hope I am showing my son a better way. “So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, Abba, Father.”…Just a thought

(for the expanded blog on this topic visit http://www.damianlboyd.com/college-impact-blog/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment